Are You Ready, WILLING, And Able, To Be A True Leader?
Why is it, many appear to want to attain a position of leadership, yet, so few, are ready, willing or able, to do, what’s necessary? Nominating committees, today, often face the task, of identifying, and qualifying, those fit to serve, but, rather than maintaining the highest ideals, standards and expectations, end up, settling for someone, who may be Not ready for prime time! There is no such thing as a born – leader, and, therefore, like most acquired assets and/ or skills, requires a commitment, to undergo extensive training, learn from what they are trained to do, gain relevant experience, and transform it to quality expertise. Let’s briefly examine, using the mnemonic approach, what goes into being WILLING, to serve, to the best of one’s abilities and potential.
1. What; when; Do you know what you need to do, and/ or what your group needs? How will you make that determination and decision? Will you procrastinate, or when will you begin to consider, the best, most viable course of action to take, and to do so, in a timely, well – considered manner?
2. Intentions; integrity; ideas; ideology: Examine your true intentions, objectively! Will you maintain the highest standards of absolute integrity, and proceed, with these ethics, even when tempted to take an easier, more expedient path? How carefully will you consider the best course of action, and will you consider a variety of options and alternatives, with an open – mind, and introduce quality ideas, which make a significant difference, for the better? Is your course of action, in sync with the ideology of your organization?
3. Listening: Are you so focused on making your point, or will you carefully listen, to what your constituents say, perceive, need, are concerned about, and consider a priority?
3. Learning: It is a fatal flaw, to believe you know – it – all, and feel, you need no further learning! Will you commit to transforming your training, education and experiences, to effective, meaningful learning?
4. Ingenious: Will you only proceed, with the same – old, same – old, approaches and philosophies, or proceed, in an ingenious, relevant, open – minded manner?
5. Needs: Focus on the needs, concerns and priorities, of those you serve, rather than your personal, self – interest, and/ or agenda!
6. Generate goodwill; growth: True leaders realize, unless their group is constantly growing, and remaining relevant, it will fail to be sustainable. A real leader, therefore, must prioritize generating goodwill, and seeking sustainable growth!
Are you ready, WILLING, and able, to serve, as a meaningful, true leader? Why do you believe you’re up to the task?
Richard has owned businesses, been a COO, CEO, Director of Development, consultant, professionally run events, consulted to thousands of leaders, and conducted personal development seminars, for 4 decades. Rich has written three books and thousands of articles. His company, PLAN2LEAD, LLC has an informative website: http://plan2lead.net and LIKE the Facebook page for leadership: http://facebook.com/Plan2lead